With an interdisciplinary curriculum targeting resident physicians, medical students, graduate nursing students, and health science/pharmacy students, participants experience hands-on education and training from international patient safety leaders on concepts including:
- Open and honest communication after unexpected harm
- High Reliability principles and implementation strategies
- System error and human factors engineering
- Quality Improvement tools and techniques
- Leadership and mindfulness
- Informed consent and shared decision-making
- Interdisciplinary teamwork and communication
- Providing emotional first aid to colleagues
- Patient and Family partnerships
- Just Culture
Please Note: Nursing student applicants must be enrolled in graduate nursing studies at the time of the program and have 4-10 years of professional nursing experience. Accepted medical, nursing, and health science students receive a full scholarship covering lodging, travel, program costs, and most meals. Accepted resident physicians must secure funding for the workshop fee through their program director or institution.
Application Deadline: February 11, 2022
Breckenridge, CO Sessions
Gain critical patient safety knowledge, skills, and tools while immersed in the Rocky Mountains, and continue the discussion while hiking the beautiful trails of Breckenridge with colleagues and faculty.
- The COPIC Medical Foundation Resident Scholar Session (Week 1)*: 6/5/22 – 6/9/22
- The Sorrel McElroy Scholar Session (Week 2): 6/12/22 – 6/16/22
*The COPIC Medical Foundation Resident Scholar Session is exclusive to the COPIC Medical Foundation Residents. Learn more.
Each session kicks off with a welcome reception on Sunday evening, and attendees depart Friday morning.
Ellicott City, Maryland Session
Located just a short drive away from both Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD, you’ll be transformed by moving presentations by renown patient safety experts.
- The Bennathan Scholar Session (Week 3): 7/19/22 – 7/23/22
Session kicks off with a welcome reception on Tuesday evening, 7/19/22, and attendees depart late afternoon on Saturday, 7/23/22.